This is the WASTED BLOG. For my main author website, click this link.

Awards: WASTED won the Read it or Else category in the Coventry Award and was runner-up in the North East Book Award. It is longlisted for the Carnegie Medal and shortlisted for the Manchester, Grampian, Angus, and RED Awards.


Tuesday 29 June 2010

OUT OF THE MOUTHS OF TEENAGERS

I have just come back from Inverkeithing High School and I have a story to share.

First, though, I had a great time - two large events, each with around 150 pupils, 14-15 year-olds, and a few 13-year-olds, huge hall, microphone that worked, eager faces, really attentive. And some good questions, including some very good questions.

Second, it was lovely to see some 6th form pupils there completely voluntarily, mostly boys. And to see them inspired to buy books when they hadn't planned to and to have them say it was nice to meet me, and to thank me. 

Third, it was a new experience for me to see some pupils actually reading from their own copies of Wasted while I was reading from it - their faces were a picture of excitement, even though they'd already read that bit!

But what I want to share with you is a comment by a girl who came up to me afterwards. Now, this will only make sense to you if you have read Wasted, but this is what she said:

"You know how you were talking about how everything could be different if something before it had happened differently? And you know you were talking about failing to get published for 21 years? Well, just think: if you hadn't had those years of failure, your mind would be different and you might never have come up with the idea for Wasted."
 WOW!

She was so right; had so very got it. I was gobsmacked. That required some seriously deep thought, some thought-experiment, out-of-the-box thinking.And she was one of the younger ones.

NOW do you see why I write for teenagers??

Anyway, to the librarian, Angela Macari, her lovely daughter, Nicole, and all the pupils of Inverkeithing High School whom I met today, have a lovely summer holiday and enjoy your reading - you never know how it might change your life.

6 comments:

susie @newdaynewlesson said...

Wow-what a very mature and insightful comment.

Nicola Morgan said...

Indeed!

And thanks to all those of you who posted comments on my Facebook link to this.

The annoying thing is that I had actually thought I'd come to a decision to take a break from writing for teenagers... Grrr.

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

Sometimes answers come when least expected.
Teens do so "get it" don't they?

Mary
Giggles and Guns

Jennifer Perry said...

Now that is a moment in time I wish I could frame for you. Beautiful.

Kathryn Evans said...

Fantastic - and inspiring - hope you bottled her, I need a sprinkling.

Nicola Morgan said...

It really is moments like that that keep us going, isn't it? Readers never really understand how important their comments and understanding are. At least i got a chance to tell the girl how impressed I was.